In keeping with its vision and ethos the hospital is committed to providing state-of-the art medical care for patients across all socio-economic strata.
Over the years the hospital has evolved from a 4 bedded maternity hospital to a 550 bedded multi-specialty healthcare institution. The KEM boasts a number of firsts in the city of Pune that include a Nephrology Unit, a Critical Care Unit, complete Diabetic care and comprehensive care for children with special needs under one roof. The KEM Hospital Research Centre is a sister institution. From its inception in 1973 it has been involved with a number of seminal research projects and has undertaken studies in collaboration with the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), the World Health Organisation (WHO), Population Council and other renowned international organisations.
In addition to being a tertiary care teaching organisation that has all the important specialties, the KEMH, Pune is attached to the B. J. Medical College, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences (MUHS) and the Sassoon General Hospitals Pune, for undergraduate and postgraduate training. The KEM also runs a Rural Health Centre and Hospital 40 km outside Pune in Vadu, which conducts community health programmes for the surrounding villages, trains health workers and conducts research programmes.
Patients come not only from the city of Pune and towns across Maharashtra but sometimes even from neighbouring states, making it one of the better known hospitals in Western India.
Established in 1912 as a small charitable maternity home on a piece of land donated by a prominent local citizen Sardar Moodliar, the KEM today is a 550 bedded hospital and is the second largest general hospital in Pune, largely due to the incredible vision of Dr. Banoo Coyaji and her dedicated team of doctors including Dr. Vasant Pai, Dr. P. K. Bharucha, Dr. K. J. Coyaji, Dr. Anand Bhatia, Dr. Anand Pandit, Dr. Madhav Kale and Dr. F. F. Wadia.
By 1942 almost 22.5% of all registered births in Pune city took place at the KEM with an average of 1,308 deliveries a year.
By 1944 the hospital had 40 women’s beds and several wards. Under the leadership of Dr. Banoo Coyaji, the Chief Medical Officer, the hospital embarked on a period of accelerated expansion with the aim of providing the most up-to-date diagnostic and treatment facilities to the community regardless of economic capacity.
The early 1970s saw the establishment of an Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and a Dialysis Unit, both the first of their kind in the city. The then 2-bedded ICU has over the years grown into two Adult Units comprising of 45 beds. Separate Paediatric and Neonatal ICUs have been established some years ago. The Dialysis Unit pioneered Nephrology as a specialty in Pune and for several years was the only one serving the city and surrounding areas.
Set up in 1977 by Dr. Anand Pandit, the Paediatric Department has grown by leaps and bounds and boasts many specialties like Paediatric Gastroenterology, Paediatric Epilepsy, Paediatric Cardiology, Paediatric Hemato-Oncology and Paediatric Nephrology.The department has also been the pioneer in many research studies like liver disease, high-risk follow up, lifestyle disorders like obesity and many vaccine trials.
Dr. Banoo Coyaji’s behest, the hospital set up its Department of Medical Social Work, one of the earliest in Maharashtra, to look into the problems faced by patients and their families. The KEM was one of the first hospitals in Maharashtra where people with HIV were accepted and treated without any discrimination.The Medical Social Workers (MSWs) are a link between the patient, the hospital’s medical team and the community at large. As the hospital grew over the years, there was a felt need for private beds. The A.H. Wadia Trust came forward in 1969 with a generous donation, which enabled the building of the ground floor of the Nursing Home. Subsequently through the generous aid of individual donors as well as hospital funds additional floors were added on. There is a total of five floors in this section.
The Paediatric Department inaugurated the path-breaking TDH Centre with the aid of the Terre Des Hommes, Germany. This was the first such centre in Pune for the comprehensive diagnosis and therapy of children with all manner of physical and mental challenges.
Today, we are happy to say that the following projects have been completed and are on stream: Cardiac Center: Over 1000 angiographies and 100 Cardiac Surgeries were performed within the first year of operations. Nephrology Department: This renovated unit has nine hemodialysis stations and a Reverse Osmosis Plant functioning to EU standards of water purity. Emergency Service Department: This has been upgraded and besides the adult emergency services, a special separate pediatric section has been developed. Critical Care Unit: The ICU extension is fully equipped and a new ICCU and Neuro ICU has began working in September 2006. Neonatal ICU : It is now working at the full capacity of 40 beds. The tertiary level referral unit is amongst the best NICUs in the country. Pediatric ICU: It has been expanded from 6-10 beds. Therapy of children with all manner of physical and mental challenges.
A century of commitment, hard work and vision has seen this four-bedded maternity dispensary grow into a thriving 550-bedded multi-specialty tertiary hospital, with rural community outreach. In 2012 alone the hospital saw over 100,000 patients in its OPD and had over 32,000 in-patient admissions. The hospital however, is not content to rest on past laurels and