Established in 1912, as a small charitable 4-bedded maternity home on land donated by Sardar Moodliar. Much of the growth of the hospital was due to the incredible vision of Dr. Banoo Coyaji and her dedicated team of doctors including Dr. Vasant Pai, Dr. P. K. Bharucha, Dr. K. J. Coyaji, Dr. Anand Bhatia, Dr. Anand Pandit, Dr. Madhav Kale and Dr. F. F. Wadia.
Almost 22.5% of all registered births in Pune city took place at KEM Hospital, with an average of 1308 deliveries a year.
Expanded to 40 beds for women, under the leadership of Dr. Banoo Coyaji, the Chief Medical Officer.
As the hospital grew over the years, there was a felt need to house private beds. The A.H. Wadia Trust came forward with a generous donation, which enabled the building of the ground floor of the Nursing Home. Subsequently through the generous aid of individual donors as well as hospital funds, additional floors were added on.
The early 1970s saw the establishment of an Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and a Dialysis Unit, both the first of their kind in the city. The then 2-bedded ICU has over the years grown into two Adult Units comprising of 45 beds. The Dialysis Unit pioneered Nephrology as a specialty in Pune and for several years was the only one serving the city and surrounding areas.
Set up in 1977 by Dr. Anand Pandit, the Paediatric Department has grown by leaps and bounds and boasts many specialties, like Paediatric Gastroenterology, Paediatric Epilepsy, Paediatric Cardiology, Paediatric Hemato-Oncology and Paediatric Nephrology. The department has also been the pioneer in many research studies, such as, liver disease, high-risk follow up, lifestyle disorders and several vaccine trials.
At Dr. Banoo Coyaji’s behest, the hospital set up its Department of Medical Social Work (MSW), one of the earliest in Maharashtra, to look into the problems faced by patients and their families. KEM Hospital was one of the first in Maharashtra where people with HIV were accepted and treated without any discrimination. Also, KEM Hospital set up a rural hospital, the Vadu Rural Health Program, in 1978.
The Paediatric Department inaugurated the path-breaking TDH Centre, with the aid of the Terre Des Hommes, Germany. It was the first centre for child development in India, offering comprehensive services under one roof for children with special needs.
A century of commitment, hard work and vision has seen this four-bedded maternity dispensary grow into a thriving 550-bedded, multi-specialty, tertiary level teaching hospital with rural community outreach. In 2012 alone, the hospital saw over 100,000 patients in its OPD and had over 32,000 in-patient admissions.
KEM hospital is constantly striving to achieve greater heights while remaining true to our vision of providing quality and ethics in patient care. Thus, the expansion of the hospital has been planned, with the new Centenary Building, to further enhance our ability to provide innovative, quality care to the communities we serve.