The Department of General Medicine at KEM Hospital, Pune aims at providing comprehensive care to patients encompassing various specialities. The strength of our department is the wisdom and experience of our doctors and the enthusiasm to create niche specialities.
We pioneered renal transplants in the city with the expansion of the extensive nephrology unit, introduced radiological intervention in neurology, run one of the most pocket friendly Intensive Care Units and are now advancing to help in the prevention of cardiovascular disease with the introduction of the Lipid Clinic.
Lipid clinic - The objective of the clinic is to curtail the ongoing epidemic of cardiovascular disease. Atherosclerosis can be stabilised and even reversed at times by managing the various risk factors and lipid problems.
- Primary Prevention: Reducing the risk of development of cardiovascular diseases by early identification and management of risk factors
- Secondary Prevention: Lowering the risk of future events, for those with established coronary artery disease, strokes and peripheral artery disease
- Diagnosis and management of genetically determined lipid disorders in the index patient and other family members
- Management of associated metabolic problems
- Discussion on Life style modification
- Screening of relatives of patient
- Genetic testing