Paediatric Infectious Diseases
Paediatric Infectious Diseases is a subspecialty wing of the Department of Paediatrics at KEM Hospital, Pune. We specialize in the diagnosis, treatment, research and prevention of a wide range of infectious and immunological diseases in children, under one roof.
Our team of qualified and experienced experts help children with severe, difficult, recurring, persistent, unusual, or undiagnosed bacterial, fungal, parasitic, and other rare infections. We work closely with your child’s paediatrician in all aspects of infections in children from birth through the teen years. We use a multidisciplinary team approach to facilitate timely, comprehensive, compassionate and best outcome patient care.
Our department is supported by in-house, accredited pathology, microbiology and physiology laboratories with state-of-the-art facilities, including hi-tech molecular diagnostics and a full-fledge imaging department.
We provide diagnostic, management and preventive care of infectious diseases, such as:
- Childhood Fever - prolonged, recurrent, unknown, undiagnosed, difficult
- Common infectious diseases - severe and complicated community infections, such as pneumonia, empyema, sepsis, dengue, typhoid, rickettsia, meningitis, encephalitis, bones and joint, skin and soft tissue, liver, kidney, heart, blood and seasonal/epidemic viral, bacterial, fungal and parasitic infections
- Chronic and difficult infections - tuberculosis, COVID, atypical, HIV, STDs, congenital (mother/parent to child), animal and insect borne infections
- Special situation infections - hospital acquired infections, infections in immunosuppressed children on steroids, biologicals, chemotherapy and transplant recipients
- Peri and post infectious disorders - Kawasaki disease, HLH, GBS, post COVID complications such as MIS-C
- Primary Immunodeficiency Disorders
We have a dedicated research department of national and international repute that conducts trials and research projects and contributes immensely to the field of paediatrics, infectious diseases and vaccine research.
- We educate and train postgraduate doctors in accurate diagnosis, personal care, rational management, advanced research and effective prevention of infectious diseases of childhood
- We provide community education and awareness programs in infection control and prevention and training for health care workers and doctors through a dedicated Hospital Infection Control Committee team
- We practise, facilitate, promote and train health care providers in antimicrobial stewardship, antibiotic resistance awareness and rational antibiotic practises
Special Clinics and Camps
We have a dedicated Immunization clinic providing up-to-date and affordable, routine and special situation, full range vaccinations for all age groups. We follow standard, meticulous and supervised practices for storage, administration, monitoring, documentation and follow-up. We also provide free pre and post immunization counselling, guided by expert faculty.