The Blood Bank is an integral part of KEM Hospital, Pune. We are dedicated to giving life to the community by providing life-saving blood components and transfusion services that give hope to people in need. From its inception in 1972, the Blood Bank has collected blood solely from voluntary blood donors. We were the first such blood bank in Pune and were also the first in the city to start component separation in 1987 and HIV testing in 1989. Over the years, we have inculcated international standards for blood transfusion safety and have state-of-the-art technology and systems to ensure that we deliver the highest quality standards in blood transfusion.
Our main objectives include:
- To collect, store, test and issue safe blood to needy patients
- To prepare components of blood, store them and issue to needy patients
- To conduct awareness programmes to educate public / prospective blood donors regarding voluntary blood donation camps
Our activities include:
- Generating awareness amongst society about voluntary blood donation through organizing activities such as lectures, workshops, seminars and hoardings
- Organizing blood donation camps to collect blood voluntarily from donors in and around Pune city. On average, we collect 9000 blood units annually
- Separation of components, testing, storage and issue of component units to needy patients
- Providing blood free of cost to Thalassaemic and Haemophiliac patients. These patients require regular blood and blood component transfusion for their survival
- Issuing blood at concessional charges to patients form financially weaker sections. Also, providing free blood and blood products to patients from below poverty line social strata
- Providing blood and blood products at concessional charges to cancer and dialysis patients without replacement
The blood donor’s samples are tested with the safest technology for various transfusion transmitted infections (TTIs), including HIV 1 & 2, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, Malaria, and Syphilis to ensure safe blood transfusion.
Blood Grouping Laboratory:
All the donor's blood groups and atypical antibodies screenings are performed on fully automated blood grouping system by Immucor, USA on NEO equipment.
KEM Hospital Blood Bank also has its own storage centre at Shirdi Sai Baba Rural Hospital at Vadu.
Recognition and Awards:
We are recognized throughout the medical communities for providing high quality of products and services.
- Recognised as 'Regional Blood Transfusion Centre' by the State Blood Transfusion Council (SBTC) of Maharashtra, Certificate No. SBTC/RBTC-PN/004 – 1999
- Assisted by National AIDS Control Organization (NACO) – 2009
- Certified with ISO 9001:2015 by Bureau Veritas Certification Holding SAS-UK Branch – 2018
- Awarded by Maharashtra State AIDS Control Organization (MSACS), for excellent performance in blood banking in the year 2013-14
- Awarded by MSACS, a certificate and memento for our valuable contribution towards HIV / AIDS control on the occasion of World AIDS Day, 2014 in the year 2013-14
- Won the KEMH Trophy, 2015 for its best performance
- Certification from PEPFAR for surpassing expectations with respect to access to safe blood, blood banking, waste management, injection safety in June, 2016